Nagaland Public Works Department
Road Transport plays a very important role for economic, industrial, social and cultural development of a country or state. Nagaland , being a land locked state with hilly and mountainous terrain where air, railway and water transport system is very limited ,road is the only means of transport which can provide accessibility even to the remotest regions of the state.
Increase the mobility and efficiency of road transport system of national Highways in Nagaland.
Roads can be broadly classified into the following categories:
- National Highways (NH)
- State Highways (SH)
- Major District Roads (MDR)
- Other District Roads (ODR)
- Village Roads (VR)
National Highways (NH) are main highways running through the length and breadth of the country connecting highways of other countries ,important ports , capitals and district head quarters of states and union territories , important cities and places of strategic importance ,etc.
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MORTH), a Ministry of the Govt. of India ,is the apex body for formulation and administration of the rules ,regulations and laws relating to road transport and transport research ,in order to increase the mobility and efficiency of the road transport system in India.
Main responsibilities of the MoRTH are-
- Planning, development and maintenance of National Highways,
- To extend technical and financial support to the state governments for development of state roads and roads of inter-state connectivity and national importance
- Setting standards for building and maintenance of roads and bridges
- Archiving important technical knowledge generated through projects and Research and development.
All works of National Highways are carried out through the following authorities/agencies-
- State Public Works Department
- Border Roads Organization (BRO)
- National Highway Authority of India (NHAI)
- National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (NHIDCL)