Nagaland Public Works Department
The Mechanical Engineering directorate was established in the year 1996, and it is headed by a Chief Engineer (Mechanical) with its head quarter at Kohima, and is actively engaged in promoting mechanization of developmental works it hroughout the State. The Department is responsible for maintenance and optimum utilization of Government heavy earth moving machineries and vehicles. The background for creation of a separate wing under Works and Housing Department was to strengthen road construction and maintenance works, other developmental works and stream line the utilization of heavy machinery more efficiently besides, earning of revenue through hire charges from Private Parties/ Agencies in our States. The Department also extends co-operation during natural calamities and co-ordinates fully with the State Disaster Management Authority of Nagaland, for mitigation and early restoration of normalcy thereof.
Vision Statement :
Efficient and optional utilization of heavy earthmoving machines to accelerate infrastructure development.
Objectives of the Department
- Support Road & Bridges and Housing Department through machinery for on going projects through out Nagaland.
- Maintaining road clearance of traffic on PWD roads throughout the year for Public convenience.
- Providing Mechanical support and machinery to various; Departments, Villages etc, for development programme on hire basis.
- Providing Technical know how of Hi-Tech machines and support to the local machinery owners.
- The Department is also participating in the much needed development activities through the deployment of its various heavy machineries and further, Supplementing the State Government Revenue, through collection of hiring charges of its machinery used by different agencies.
- To keep updating and enhancing professional knowledge and skills needed for better performance of an individual and organization the department conducts departmental training in order to enhance skill of Operators, Mechanics and Handyman on maintenance and operation of heavy machinery.